Sunday, October 19, 2008

Coffee Chicago

As I walked into Coffee Chicago, the first thing I noticed was the veritable army of computers and their owners. 14 of the 15 people in the place (including the girl behind the counter) were deeply engrossed in the laptop in front of them. Interestingly enough, none of them were seated together; they were all in conversation with their electronic companions. When I got to the counter, the girl greeted me politely and waited patiently while I looked over the menu. I asked for a hot drink suggestion and in response received a couple of ums and a statement of where the hot drinks were on the menu. I took a coffee (the “Chicago Blend”) and a lemon-cranberry muffin. Although the muffin was a little tough, chock-full of preservatives, the coffee was some of the best drip coffee I’d had in a long time. Their sparse selection of pastries is ordered out, though from where, the girl didn’t know. However, they do have ice cream and the green tea flavor I sampled was scrumptious. A self-serve water cooler with cups sits reassuringly next to the counter. The atmosphere is comfortable; clean, but not so clean you’re afraid to touch anything. The free WiFi and cheap coffee refills make it a worthwhile hang-out. The local lite-rock radio station serenades patrons while they sip, but not too loud so it's easy to ignore. For someone living or working in the neighborhood, Coffee Chicago is an excellent place to work, chat, or chill, but is probably not worth the trip if you aren’t already there for another reason.

I give it an "Only if you're in the neighborhood."


The Facts
Hours: 7:30am - 9pm (9:30 on Fridays)
Price of coffee: $1.70
Location: 5256 N. Broadway

2 comments:

The Mind of Sue said...

a little behind on the weekly reviews. wish i was there to review with you.

Laura W. said...

Hi Matt! I'm glad you're blogging again. Well, kind of blogging again. :)

Blessings and love to you and your lovely wife! Miss you guys and feel sorely in need of a chat to catch up.